Seminar Event Detail

Teaching Mathematics

Date:  Thursday, October 25, 2012
Location:  4088 East Hall (5:15 PM to 6:30 PM)

Title:  A Mathematician and Mathematics Educator Team Teaching Experience

Abstract:   In the 2009-10 academic year, I team taught two courses with my colleague Dr. Denisse Thompson in the College of Education. The courses were geometry, housed in the Mathematics Department, and a high school methods for teaching mathematics course, housed in the Department of Secondary Education. Both courses are intended for preservice secondary education mathematics teachers. This collaboration was supported in part by a National Science Foundation grant with P.I. Dr. Rebecca McGraw at the University of Arizona. In this talk, I will discuss how the collaboration worked in practice, its successes and challenges, including a certain "dissonance" between the mathematics and mathematics education cultures, some insights from outside observers (another colleague and a graduate student in mathematics education), and some interesting data about student attitude towards the collaboration and mathematics teaching in general. I will conclude with some of the longer term impacts this collaboration has had on my own teaching. Much of the content of this talk has recently appeared in a joint article with Denisse Thompson, Gladis Kersaint, and Sarah Bleiler, in the 2012 NCTM Yearbook, dedicated to Professional Collaborations in Mathematics Teaching and Learning.

Files:

Speaker:  Catherine Beneteau
Institution:  University of Southern Florida

Event Organizer:   Gavin LaRose    glarose@umich.edu

Edit this event (login required).
Add new event (login required).
For access requests and instructions, contact math-webmaster@umich.edu

Back to previous page
Back to UM Math seminars/events page.