Seminar Event Detail

Student AIM Seminar

Date:  Friday, October 13, 2017
Location:  1084 East Hall (4:10 PM to 5:00 PM)

Title:  Quantum information and quantum error-correction

Abstract:   The concept of a quantum computer was first proposed by Feynman in the early 1980's. These devices use quantum effects to simulate the dynamics of minuscule systems, and could prove invaluable to both physicists and chemists. Yet it wasn't until the late 1990's that "quantum information theory", or the study of quantum computing, gained traction. One reason for this was the discovery of Shor's algorithm, which reshaped the landscape of modern cryptography. The other was the discovery and refinement of quantum error-correcting codes.

In this talk, I'll first introduce the circuit model of quantum computing by comparing it to classical circuits. Then, I'll speak about some of the fundamental "software" challenges in implementing a quantum computer. In particular, I'll introduce the concept of a quantum error-correcting code, along with some small examples. Finally, I'll introduce some more advanced topics in fault-tolerant quantum computation relating to my research. Time permitting, we may even run an experiment on a real quantum computer, using IBM's 5-qubit processor.

The only prerequisites for this talk are a strong foundation in linear algebra, and comfortability with tensor products of vectors and of matrices.

Files:

Speaker:  Michael Newman
Institution:  University of Michigan

Event Organizer:   Audra McMillan    amcm@umich.edu

Edit this event (login required).
Add new event (login required).
For access requests and instructions, contact math-webmaster@umich.edu

Back to previous page
Back to UM Math seminars/events page.