GAVIN's Home
Page gavin's gavin's gavin's
WEB home
page
Welcome to a web page connected to Gavin LaRose. I'm generally located in the midwest, do math-like and technology things at the University of Michigan. If you find the contents here interesting, please feel free to let me know at <glarose(at)umich(dot)edu>.
a pretty picture
Books and writing are great, even though I don't read or write as much as I'd like. I have been known to refer to myself as a "closet English major," however. Some of the books I've read recently include Watchmen (A. Moore & D. Gibbons), Jerusalem (G. Delisle), and Pink Brain, Blue Brain (L. Eliot). For some reason or another, indicated books come with some level of endorsement by me, for whatever you think that may be worth.
Course materials and their development occupied rather more of my time once upon a time. (Now much of my time now is spent on official instructional technology stuff). But I think that writing projects are a good thing (as a bit of self-aggrandizement, c.f. also here). For documenting a course and accomplishments, a course portfolio is cool and handy.
Instructional technology is what I do most of the time now. I'm involved with developing the Gateway testing module for WeBWorK, and have spent some time creating problem banks that we use in courses at Michigan. There are other applications we use there on the instructional technology server. If you have questions about any of that, feel free to let me know.
Project NExT is a professional development program for new Math Ph.D.s. It's a program of the MAA that is open to Math Ph.D.s in their first two years of full-time college or university teaching. You can search for Fellows by different criteria, and there are Section NExTs associated with many of the MAA Sections.
In fall 2013 I'm teaching Math 425 (ctools; local syllabus): introduction to probability. In the past I've coordinated and taught (w13, f12, w12) Math 216 (differential equations; ctools). In winter 2011, I co-coordinated Math 115 (calculus I, which I taught some years ago). In fall 2010 (and before) I taught Math 316, (a differential equations course; those are CTools links (sorry); some other information is here). In '09-'10 I coordinated and taught Math 215 (calculus III; local home page for the fall). Sometime before that I taught Math 116 (calculus II; section page), which I coordinated in Fall 2006, 2007 and 2008. Before coming to Michigan, I taught a wide variety of courses at Nebraska Wesleyan University.
A few personal items: I did my undergraduate work at Grinnell College, a small liberal arts school in Iowa, and graduate work in applied math at Northwestern University. Determined to stay at a school with the same initials, I then taught at Nebraska Wesleyan University, in Lincoln, where at least one other university may be found. I've been known to play more ultimate (in Ann Arbor) than is entirely sensible. Music is a large part of the background on which my life runs. And, as you might expect, I lean towards technical geek-dom: my laptops run Linux (including ran Gentoo and more recently Fedora).
gavin's home page
Last Modified: Tue Aug 6 10:00 EDT 2013
Comments to glarose(at)umich(dot)edu
©2009 Gavin LaRose