Math 115: Calculus I Section 6

Professor Karen E. Smith
East Hall 3074
763-5048

Section 6 meets Winter semester 2014
MWF 10--11:30 pm in 3411 Mason Hall.

Ours is only one of many sections of Math 115. The Main Math 115 Web Page contains nearly everything you need, including syllabus, assignments, exam dates and the grading scheme. There are some minor differences between sections. In ours, ATTENDENCE IS REQUIRED and we will have a short quiz ALMOST EVERY DAY. No make up quizzes will be given in class; however, your lowest two scores will be dropped, and there are many opportunities given for gaining back points from quizzes for students who check the Daily Update every day.

Math 115 is a first course in Calculus at the college level, which is different than high school calculus, even if you took an AP course. This is an extremely hard class, and the ``curve" is tough. You need to be very discplined to get a good grade.

Office hours: Mondays 1-2 and Fridays 2-3 in my office, and in the Math Lab on Tuesdays 11-12. In addition, you can visit any staff member at all in the math lab for help whenever it is open.
I am available also by appointment if you need me and can't make regular office hours.

Daily Update

EXAM INFO: Exam Location , Advice on Making your ``Cheat Sheet" which you can actually bring to the exam, as long is it is 3 by 5 inches or smaller, Past Exams, and Other study Tips.

Link to Assignments Page on Main 115 website Includes Team Assignments and WebWork link! If you want a good grade, do the webwork as soon as it opens---do not wait a week until just before it closes.

Answers to Extra 4.3 Optimization Problems Not carefully proofread, so please let me know if you find errors! Also: I am not showing work: on the exam you would have to justify all steps using calculus.

Section 2.4 Answer key to some odd problems. The answers in the back of the book are completely inadequate (wrong)!

QUIZZES: Quiz 1, Quiz 2, Quiz 3, Quiz 4, Quiz 5, Quiz 6, Quiz 7, Quiz 8, Quiz 9, Quiz 10, Quiz 11, Quiz 12, Quiz 13 was 20 points for passing Gateway by Friday March 14, Quiz 14, Quiz 15, Quiz 17,

CLASSWORK AND OTHER EXTRA WORKSHEETS:
Classwork from Jan 9,
Classwork 2 from Jan 22 (can be turned in Friday Jan 24 for additional quiz grade!)
Classwork 3 from Jan 27 covering average and instantaneous velocity,
Classwork 4 from February 24 about derivatives for inverse functions,
Classwork 5 from February 26,
Classwork 6 was a bunch of graphs we looked at (see me for handout),
Classwork 7 from March 14,
Extra Modelling Problems (section 4.3) from March 14, and the Answers
Classwork 8: Optimization Problem from Class (section 4.3) March 17
Classwork 9 from March 19. (For a quiz grade, we then graded it using Kubena's Example of Appropriate Justification )
Classwork from March 26: Exam Review with Answers
Classwork 11 from April 2 on Related Rates (4.6) with answers
Classwork 12 from April 4 on computing distance as an area
Classwork 13 from April 9 on fundamental theorem of calculus
Classwork 14 Quiz and Classwork Exam Practice Problems with solutions
Practice Exam created with the Exam 3 Shop . Make your own which also includes solutions from the Shop!

Team Work Grading Rubric: grade your own teamwork before turning it it!

First Day of Class Handout

My Math Autobiography

Khan Academy, a free online school you can use to review needed topics (eg, logarithms, inverse functions, derivatives...). Highly recommended as a source of practice problems; also some decent video tutorials if you get stuck or need a mini-lecture reminder.