Graduate Students in Chronological Order

The (no longer so) current extended Family April 2008

• Will Traves (1998, University of Toronto)
    Thesis: Differential Operators and Nakai's Conjecture
    Traves first job was at as an NSERC post-doc at Berkeley. He is now Professor and Department Chair at the US Naval Academy.
    Here we are with my more recent students Robert Walker and Sarah Mayes-Tang at the MAA MathFest in DC.

• Joel Rosenberg (1999, University of Michigan)
    Thesis: Moduli of Cubic Surfaces co-advised by Joe Harris.
    Rosenberg is currently a mathematical researcher at the Institute for Defense Analysis Center for Communications Research (IDA-CCR).

• Uriel Scott (2000, University of Michigan)
    Thesis: Sparse Systems of Parameters for Projective Varieties
    After finishing his degree, Scott worked as a trader for the famous proprietary trading firm Susquehanna, then moved on to a 'quant' position at Mirant Atlanta (formally Southern Energy), then Constellation Commodities in Baltimore, and other finance research positions throughout the country.

• Sara Faridi (2000, University of Michigan)
    Thesis: Closure Operations on Ideals.
    Faridi was an Assistant Professor at George Washington University, then at the University of Ottawa, before settling down at Dalhousie University in Halifax, where she is now Associate Professor. An Interview with Sara.

• Manuel Blickle (2001, University of Michigan)
    Thesis: The intersection homology D-module in finite characteristic.
    Blickle's first job was a post-doctoral position at the University of Essen, working in Esnault and Viehweg's algebraic geometry group. He now hold's Germany's very prestigious Heisenberg Fellowship, and recently accepted a professorship at Mainz.
    Here we are at a conference for my own advisor Mel Hochster 's 65-th birthday, August 2008, and in January 2011 on a hike at Luminy, Marseilles France.

• Amanda Johnson (2003, University of Michigan).
    Thesis: Multiplier ideals of determinantal ideals.
    Amanda has a mathematical research position at the National Security Agency.

• Cornelia Yuen (2006, University of Michigan)
    PhD Thesis: Jet Schemes and Truncated Wedge schemes.
    Cornelia is an Associate Professor at SUNY Potsdam, after a post-doc at the University of Kentucky. Here we are at Mel's conference and then later with some academic siblings at a party at my house for Mel's birthday.

• Yogesh More (2008, University of Michigan)
    PhD Thesis: Arc Valuations on Smooth Varieties.
    Yogesh is an Assistant Professor at the college of Old Westbury, SUNY, after first completing a post-doc at the University of Missouri.
    Here we are in my kitchen at Yogesh's graduation party, and at the milkshake party with Andrey, Tapio and Helena.

• Kevin Tucker (2010, University of Michigan)
    Thesis: Jumping Numbers and Multiplier Ideals on Algebraic Surfaces, the winner of the SUMNER MEYERS PRIZE for our department's best 2010 thesis.
    Kevin is an Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois, Chicago, after a post-doc at Princeton and and NSF fellowship at Utah, working with my former post-doc Karl Schwede.
    Halloween 2008
    on my front porch.

• Daniel Hernandez (2011, University of Michigan)
    PhD thesis: F-purity of hypersurfaces
    Currently at NSF post-doc at UTAH, recently a Dunham Jackson Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota, soon to be tenure-track at the University of Kansas.
    Here's Daniel on Halloween in front of my house with his girlfriend and my academic sister Emily Witt, a powerful mathematician herself.

• Chelsea Walton (2011, U Michigan)
    PhD Thesis: On Degenerations and Deformations of Sklyanin Algebras, co-advised by Toby Stafford.
    Chelsea is the Selma Lee Bloch Brown Assistant professor (tenure track) at Temple University, after an NSF post-doc at UW Seattle and a Moore Instructorship at MIT. She also won our department's Cornwell Prize in 2011 for the most promising mathematics student!
    I think we make a pretty cool pair of witches.

• Michael Von Korff (2012, U Michigan)
    PhD Thesis: The F-signature and Frobenius Splitting of Toric Varieties.
    Michael now loves his job at Reasoning Mind a Texas nonprofit that produces K12 math education software. Here's Michael and my daughter Helena on a hike with us in Finland.

• Sarah Mayes (2013, U Michigan)
    PhD Thesis: The Asymptotic Behavior of Generic intital systems.
    Sarah is now a professor at QUEST UNIVERSITY in Canada.
    Here we are with Michael Von Korff at his defense party.

• Brooke Ullery, (2015 UMichigan)
    PhD Thesis: Tautological vector bundles on the Hilbert scheme of points and the normality of secant varieties , co-advised by Rob Lazarsfeld.
    Brooke also did great work on creating Designer ideals with high Castelnuovo-Mumford Regularity.
    She has accepted an NSF post-doctoral fellowship to work with Aron Bertram at Utah, and will go to Harvard as a Pierce Instructor after that.
    At Brooke's Thesis Defense Party

• Balin Fleming (2015 UMichigan).
    PhD Thesis: Arc schemes in Logarithmic Algebraic Geometry. Balin has accepted a post-doctoral position with Kalle Karu at the University of British Columbia.
    Christmas 2014

• Xiaolei Zhao, (2015 U Michigan)
    PhD Thesis: Topological Abel-Jacobi Mapping and Jacobi Inversion, co-advised by Herb Clemens.
    Xiaolei has also studied The MMP for deformations of Hilbert schemes of points on the projective plane. He has accepted a post-doctoral position at Northeastern University, working with Emmanuel Macri. Xiaolei and me at his thesis defense with his wife Chen.

• Robert Walker , has terrific results on uniform bounds for symbolic powers of ideals in the toric setting. He has shown that there is a D (described explcitly in terms of the cone) such that for any torus invariant prime ideal P of the coordinate ring of an affine toric variety, we have the nD-th symbolic power of D is contained in the n-th power of P for all natural numbers n. He also has an effective uniform D that works for all prime ideals in any rational surface singularity. See his web page for more information! Robert is also the treasurer of his co-op. Here's me and Robert at the MAA MathFest in DC. Robert will be applying for academic jobs fall 2017.

• Rankeya Datta is working on prime characteristic commutative algebra, with a lat of overlap with valuation theory. We have investigated together the behavior of Frobenius in valuation rings (see Valuation rings and Frobenius and the subsequence paper on excellence. More recently, he has proved uniform approximation of Abhyankar valuation ideals in characteristic p by developing the necessary theory of asymptotic test ideals (the characteristic zero case was done using asymptotic multiplier ideals by Ein, Lazarsfeld and myself.) He has also investigated F-splitting in valuation rings and local cohomology in valuation rings, among other projects.

• Gilad Pagi is working on computations of the F-pure threshold with an eye toward maybe seeing how it behaves under blowing up. Despite only recently starting working on this, Gilad is making rapid progress. He owns his own (very successful) consulting firm, as well!

• I was also a surrogate advisor for Andrey Mishchenko, circle packer extraordinaire, who defended summer 2012 and now works for Formlabs, a 3D printing company. Here's me and my Buddy when he was but a youngster, back in 2008.